Sunday, March 18, 2018

Weekend Warrior?

Hey guys! 

I wanted to give you an update on the hay net and ask you a question (if anyone even still reads my blog since I'm so absent).  The hay net is doing great.  I can't tell for sure if it's actually slowing them down at all, but it definitely helps with boredom and prevents a lot of waste.  Rocky also seems to chase Chrome off less because he's distracted with pulling hay through the net instead of being a brat.

Now, my question.  What do you guys think of weekend warriors?  Growing up I was always told it's really bad to only ride your horses on the weekends.  Of course the people they were talking about were people that would take horses who've sat all week in the pasture and then ride them ten miles with no prior conditioning, so that is definitely bad and I know that.

What I need to know is if it's done right (start with short rides, gradually build distance and duration, proper warm ups and cool downs, etc.) is it still a bad idea?  Is it even possible to build a horse's fitness level if you only ride once or twice on the weekends?  I have to always keep his locking stifles in mind and I'm terrified of having another tendon injury (although I have no idea what caused the previous one.... probably him being overweight, but his weight is really good now that we have the hay net).  I can't longe him because circles are bad for his stifles and our ground is really messed up right now from all the rain and flooding.

The reason I'm asking is because I work anywhere from 7:30-8:00am to 6:00-7:00pm every weekday.  I have to do chores after work, then take a shower and eat supper.  By then it's late.  We rarely get inside or eat supper before 8pm.  I also have to keep a very strict sleeping schedule or I have insomnia, so I can't just stay up late a couple of nights a week.  I barely fit in all of the chores I need to do after work, so fitting in a ride is almost impossible.  Now that the time has changed, if the weather is decent, I could probably just throw on a  helmet and a bridle and toodle around the house for fifteen minutes but really it seems pointless because we can't really do anything productive and walking circles in the yard by myself gets really boring, especially in the dark.

So what are your thoughts?  I was looking back through my blog and realized it's been over a year since I've ridden my horse.  I've only ridden him 16 times in the last two years since I started working at this extremely stressful, fast paced, mentally exhausting job.  I have time to ride on the weekends (when the weather is okay), but I keep talking myself out of it because I don't want to be a weekend warrior. 

So if you work full time and/or a lot of overtime, do you ride only on the weekends?  Is being a weekend warrior as bad as a lot of people make it sound?  I miss riding and I know Chrome needs the exercise for his stifles, but I'm terrified of hurting him. 

I'll stop rambling.  Please share your thoughts!  I would really appreciate any advice.  Also because I know someone will mention it, having someone half lease him or come over to exercise him when I'm at work is not an option.  Thanks in advance!

10 comments:

  1. I see no reason why you couldn’t ride only once or twice a week! I ride my semi-retire mare no more than 3 days a week, and it’s not an issue. Now, she doesn’t show and we don’t jump over 2’ anymore, and I just always keep my rides to doing what she can, with her lower level of fitness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know it works well for you! I'm definitely going to give it a shot and just be careful. Any kind of exercise has to be better than standing around in a pasture all day as long as I don't overdo it. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Never heard of weekend warrior being such a negative thing before. 90% of the people I know in my home area trail ride every weekend. 3-6 hour-long predominantly walk-only rides are pretty common around here and I've never known horses to be any worse for the wear from it. To be completely honest, I didn't realize how common horse injuries were until social media became prevalent; other than the occasional abscess, the local folks never ever seem to have issues with their horses. I think you'd be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That makes me feel much better. I don't know why my specific area views weekend riders as being a bad thing. Maybe there are just too many irresponsible people in my area... a lot of people ride them too young as well. I shouldn't let a stereotype prevent me from riding responsibly. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I think that if you can ride only on the weekends that is fine. Just don't overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is being a "weekend warrior" such a bad thing? Sure if you are going for super long w/t/c rides that are really difficult it can be less than ideal, but there is nothing wrong with have a ride or two a week. You are going to pay attention to his vitals,right? Is he breathing too hard? Is he covered in sweat in a bad way? If he is, then you would likely stop. It is the people that don't pay attention to the horse's condition that makes for bad talk about weekend warriors. Ride your horse to the best of their ability if you want to, to not ride because of someone else's opinion is silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. Thank you! I don't know why I've let it bother me for so long... I guess because it was drilled into my head as a teenager I just took it and never really challenged the idea. Thank you for sharing your perspective and helping to make me feel more comfortable.

      Delete
  5. Well certainly if you came out, over-worked the horse for his conditioning for the weekend, sure. But that has nothing to do with being a "weekend warrior" and more with being a bad horse owner. I know a LOT of weekend warriors. Odds are good if they are kept in pasture they are still moving, stretching and not sedentary. You always seem to be mindful of where Chrome is at condition wise so I don't see you doing any damage. Maybe the occasional Weds night lunge? Quicker than riding, and more beneficial than toodling. 15 min would be plenty of time to get a little work in. Make it fast food/ left over night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't do fast food because of my Celiac disease but I could definitely plan ahead for a leftovers night. That's a really good idea. I'm really worried about longeing him though because of his stifles. I could just walk or trot him in hand though. I need some exercise too lol. Thanks for the good ideas!

      Delete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)