Tuesday, January 20, 2015

White Lightning for thrush.

A bunch of people suggested White Lightning for treating thrush, so I decided to try it.  When I got to work today I was so disappointed to find she doesn't carry it.....  So I asked hubby to order some online.  He looked at it and told me some great news!  White Lightning when mixed with vinegar creates Chlorine Dioxide!!  That's also the active ingredient in Clean Trax and Vetricyn.  Chlorine Dioxide (Oxine AH) is what we used to disinfect our poultry facilities when we were raising a lot of chickens!!!  So we have some.... somewhere.  I have no idea where it ended up or if it's been in the sun at all, so I'm ordering a new bottle.  The good news is it's a LOT cheaper than White Lightning.  You can order a gallon for around thirty bucks (that's with shipping and handling so if you can find it somewhere without paying shipping good for you!).

Here is an article I found on using it for hoof problems.  http://www.hoof-smart.com/2010/07/02/hoof-care/treat-and-prevent-hoof-infections-with-oxine-ah/

As soon as it gets here I'll let you know how it works out for Chrome.  In the mean time I'll continue using my salt water to hopefully keep it from getting worse.  I wish I'd started using my salt water as a preventative at the beginning of winter so that he never would have developed it, but I forgot.  So for anyone who uses White Lightning, definitely check into this as a cheaper alternative (about a dollar per treatment for all four hooves if activated).  :)  Also don't worry, it's the exact same stuff, so you aren't sacrificing results or safety for price.  You can google Oxine AH to see what all it has been used for.

9 comments:

  1. good luck - hopefully this gets to the root of whatever funkiness is going on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally different topic, did you see Tack of the Day today? They have an eggbutt french link for $20.

    http://www.tackoftheday.com/product_p/too-bit-flegg.htm

    Saw it and thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you're so sweet! Thanks for the link! I'll go check it out. :D I've heard tack of the day can be dangerous tp the bank account though lol.

      Delete
  3. I'll be interested to see what you think of the White Lightning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried it today. It's a pain in the butt, but I'll keep you updated on how well it works. :)

      Delete
  4. I have found apple cider vinegar diluted to be the bomb for thrush. Also, lots of horses have superficial fungal infections that aren't thrush and don't need treatment. If the foot is are, healthy and with open central and lateral sluci it won't develop. I spent a long time chasing something that wasn't a problem. Horse feet smell. That is normal. As long as there or no deep cracks or eaten out bits to the frog and there is no pain on digital (ie thumb squeeze) pressure OM the frog and heels you are probably good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of ACV for thrush... I normally use salt water for prevention or mild cases. His feet stink worse than I've ever smelled them and his grooves are deep. There are places that are cracked and eaten out so I'm definitely treating him. This is the first time he's ever gotten a full blown case of it. I've never seen the black goo everyone talks about, but there is some in his central sulcus. That's why I chose to treat it. Oh and because he is tender footed too which isn't normal for him. I did the first treatment today. I'll get a post up soon and keep you guys updated.

      Delete
  5. Yep, I have heard of a lot of people using the Oxine, although I have never used it myself. But it is literally the exact same thing, so it should be fine. I told my BO about it a few months ago since she is doing a LOT of soaks, and so far she has had the same results as with the WL. Definitely nice to be able to save some $$$!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)