First up, here are pictures of Rocky's hooves for anyone who is curious. Sorry the lighting is bad. I probably could have done a better job, but I was extremely hot, tired and still distressed about the laminitis. These are from a couple of days ago when the news was still fresh.
His fronts. You can see how he toes in.
Left front. Sorry for the shadow.
Fronts from the side.
Rear hooves from the side.
Rear hooves. Sorry for the shadow again.
Right hind. What is the hole? Abscess?
Left hind. Another hole.
The founder rings are more noticeable on the hinds strangely. The trim isn't pretty. She did the best she could, but he couldn't hold up his feet for more than a minute (or less) at a time because he was in so much pain. I'm hoping the thrush treatments will alleviate the pain enough that I can keep his toes rasped back until his next trim in four weeks. Then hopefully he'll be able to stand long enough for a proper trim.
Okay on Monday we did Oxine soaks (same ingredient as White Lightning) on his front hooves. I will do his rear hooves eventually, but his fronts are worse so I decided to start with them. For the oxine soak we have to mix it with vinegar, then add a little water, then pour them in the baggie (reinforced with duct tape) that is over his hoof and seal the top so the gas created by the chemical reaction can't escape. Then he has to soak for at least 20 minutes.
It was a NIGHTMARE! He was horribly uncooperative because he was in so much pain. He didn't want to pick up his hooves and then when he did he immediately tried to jerk them forward away from hubby (he's good at it too dang it). He tore the bags and we had to make new ones. We finally just did one hoof at a time because it was going so horribly. He was freaked out by the liquid being poured in and by the bag being attached to his hoof. It was absolutely awful. In the end we managed to soak each hoof about thirty five minutes apiece. Getting the bags off was almost as bad as getting them on.
We started with his bad hoof and managed to get the bag on and get the soak done. Then when we moved to his right front hoof he was having none of it! I can't blame him because picking that one up forces him to hold his weight on the more painful hoof. After he managed to bash my arm on a tree and had jerked my hubby around (not good on his bad back) I was totally desperate. I grabbed the roll of duct tape and stuck a piece to Rocky's nose.
You know the video going around on Facebook where they use duct tape as a twitch? Uhh... I was skeptical... but it actually works!! It doesn't work as well as a twitch obviously, but he was so distracted by the tape that hubby was able to get the bag on and sealed in a quarter of the time he'd just spent attempting it without the tape. I was blown away!! I never expected it to actually work. I have a feeling once the horse gets used to it, that it would lose it's effectiveness, but it got us through soaking that right front, so I don't care.
So today we did Rocky's second soak. He was AMAZING!!! No duct tape twitch required. Hubby did it completely by himself (I was there, but busy with something else that you will see below) and managed to soak both feet at the same time!
Such a good boy!!
Rocky is one of the smartest horses I've ever met. It literally took ONE TIME fighting with him and this time he was an angel! He stood perfectly for the full forty minute soak. It may be that he was in less pain this time, but I really think mostly he just realized that we weren't going to hurt him and that we were actually helping so he let us do it. Also I'm happy to say I heard hubby say "I love this horse." That's a HUGE compliment from my non-expressive hubby! :D
Here is a video showing Rocky walking two days after his trim and then one day after his first soak. I don't have video of him walking after today's soak. Can you see a difference??
I'm not very good at lameness evaluations but he looks much better to me. Of course it's a vast difference to before the trim when he was limping so bad I thought he had an abscess. The difference between the two videos is much more minor. I'll get more video this weekend after his third soak (doing it again on Friday) and we can see how much of a difference there is then.
While hubby was busy with Rocky I was busy freaking the **** out!! Look at what Chrome did to his ear!!!!!!
I want to cry just looking at it again.... while waiting on the vet I looked everywhere and I can't figure out how he did this. :( The vet said it will heal up just fine. I was so freaked out that I asked hubby to put the medicine on for me and Chrome actually reared up. He's never done that before!!! It is hurting him so bad. :( I hope this doesn't make him head shy since I have to put medicine on everyday. Yeah... I'm not happy...
To make this post less depressing here's a picture of my cutie pie after his roach and before his laceration.
Love my handsome boy.
So it's been a roller coaster few days... I hope Chrome's ear heals up quickly... I'm confident Rocky is going to be just fine, considering the improvements we've already seen with the trim and soaks.