Monday, July 11, 2011

Taking a Break, New Treat, Cute Video

I didn't really do anything with the horses/donkey today. This morning I did a couple of shoulder yields with Chrome when I fed him his breakfast and he did great. I wanted to work with him this evening but after spending six hours at work in a building that was 91F I just didn't have the energy to do anything. What sucks is that the owners won't do anything about the air conditioner because they lease the building. It makes for a miserable day at work. The heat index got up to 117F today.

I was doing some research though about treats for horses who have a tendency to put on weight easily (which could lead to things like insulin resistance and laminitis) and learned that a very healthy treat is green split peas, so I got some to try with the horses. Chrome and Faran have no complaints. Zep wasn't too sure about them. I'm not sure I like them because they are so small and easy to drop which is wasteful. And it take Chrome a second to get them out of my hand and he leaves behind gobs of slobber. Wait until you see the video. It's gross.

Oh and please ignore me in the video. I sound really dumb for some reason. I actually said "gape toothed Chromey" . . . what the heck does that mean?? I was referring to the way that he has his teeth wide open when he take treats, even though he's using his lips, which makes for a slobbery mess. I sound like a redneck. Just please ignore me in the video lol. And yes at the end I did thank Zeppelin for biting Chrome to stop him from crowding the gate lol. Talk about convenient timing. :D


Anyway I guess that's all for today. I'm hoping tomorrow is cooler because our farrier is coming out. This will be Faran's first trim since we brought him home. :) Wish us luck!

P.S. I forgot to mention we fly sprayed Faran tonight and he was very skittish of it again. My husband hasn't been practicing. I'll have to scold him lol. Just teasing. He eventually calmed down and let me spray him though. And he approached us of his own free will after we turned him loose so I don't think he's holding it against us. :) He wasn't acting crazy, he just wanted to dance around a bit.

P.P.S. Oh and I forgot to mention that when I finished brushing Faran I was standing there and Zeppelin walked up to me wanting attention so I let him sniff the brush. Then he let me gently brush his forehead and the left side of his neck. Yay! I was so excited. Okay that's all this time. I'm sure! :)

3 comments:

  1. "Gape tooth Chromey" that's funny y'all!. I had never heard of split peas as a goodie, but that is a great treat as far as snacks go. It's funny when I see Zepplin, he seems like a real sweetie, obviously I know nothing. It's great though that he let you brush him, baby steps. You've got a really cute little group there! I think I would die if I had to work in heat like that, sheesh! Too bad you can't gripe about it, a jobs a job, I guess. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with Faran's first trim, make sure to take before and after pics! I am excited to see what he will look like with some good foot care.
    Green split peas/goo is funny. I like to give my boys edamame (soybeans), usually what is left that I haven't eaten that has been sprinkled lightly with salt, both in shell and out of shell. Everyone here loves them and they don't have as much of the slobber factor.
    Work conditions doesn't sound fun but at least it is a job right? I don't have AC here either but at least I have a fan. It gets in the mid to high 80's if I don't close all the windows super early in the morning, I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget green beans. That's the main reason I grow them!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)