Monday, April 25, 2016

Stifles

Sorry no pictures.

I'm giving Chrome the week off because my farrier can't come out to trim him until this weekend.  His stifle started locking up again (like toe dragging locked) yesterday and it was sticky too (with every stride while grazing).   I did some stretches yesterday and today he isn't locking and isn't sticking every stride.  It still gives out occasionally and he has trouble with tight turns.

Due to all of that I have decided that during his time off I'm going to be biking (and keeping it up on the days I don't ride even after this week because if he has to exercise, I do too) and doing some of his PT stuff.

I'm starting with stretches, tail pulls and forward walking, then I'll work on backing, transitions in hand and stepping over things.  Once I'm back in the saddle after his trim I'll work on all of that while riding.

Here is a really interesting article (LINK) that explains what I'll be doing.  It explains the four stretches and the tail pulls.  The time frame on it is much longer because it's for injury rehab I think.  I probably should stretch Chrome's in hand work out longer, but I've been riding him anyway and it wasn't bothering him until his feet got long.  If his stifle is still sticky after the trim I'll stick with in hand stuff until he's moving normally.  I'm not expecting that to happen though, because he always goes back to normal after a trim.

If I don't post a lot this week, that is why.  It's not because anything is wrong.  :)  To be honest, I've really enjoyed the bonding I've done the past two days with him.  I'm having to start his neem oil because he's already starting to itch (he has sweet itch for any new readers), so between thorough grooming, applying neem oil, letting him graze, doing stretches, hand walking, etc. he's getting a LOT of attention in the evenings after work.  :D

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you have to go through this with Chrome, and worry about it happening even when it's not. I have to admit I find the problem fascinating based on what it is - the malfunction of the standing-to-sleep mechanism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that it doesn't terrify me (because I know it's not life threatening) it fascinates me too. Don't be sad for him. He's okay. Here's already doing much better today. He didn't lock up at all and want sticky every stride. The only time I noticed anything today was on sharp turns while hand walking and when asking him to pick up his feet (he has to shift around to unlock his stifles before he can give his hoof). So it's all good. By the end of the week after his trim it will be like nothing ever happened. I'm just playing it super cautious. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry that he's still having this problem. I was really hoping that he would outgrow it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping he would outgrow it too. The big problems are that he gets fat easy, I don't work him in the winter like I should, he's only on five acres that are very flat and he's never been "fit". His hooves are growing faster now that it's spring so we're going to have to shorten his trim cycle again. It will all be okay. :-)

      Delete
  3. Lamenting his stifle problems, but thanks for sharing the link. I do some stretches with my horse too I just need to be better and more consistent about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're welcome. I really liked that article because it has it all laid out neatly in a nice timeline. I think I've read all those things before, but they were all spread out in long rambling articles. This one is short and sweet. I'm glad it was helpful for you too. :-D

      Delete
  4. The stifle problem is a bummer, but at least now you know how to control it to an extent. I hope that Chrome improves with exercise and a good trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bummer.... I'm glad it's easy to treat though. I just have to be more consistent. I hate winter! I wish I had an indoor arena so I could keep exercising him all year. I'm a wimp when it's cold lol.

      Delete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)