Saturday, May 11, 2013

Ride 26

This is just a really quick post to let you know I rode Chrome today for about twenty minutes.  I made the ride a little shorter because we went so long on our road ride.  He started out balky, almost seemed stiff.  Once I walked him out on the driveway he was fine, but when I went back to the grass he got balky again because he wanted to graze (I've been letting him out almost every day to graze in the yard), but he wasn't rude about it.  I had to use my heels a couple of times to get him to walk on since I didn't have a whip with me, but other than that he responded off of a calf squeeze.  And when he would dive his head down to get grass as soon as he felt contact on the reins he picked his head up.  :)  I hope he doesn't ever learn to root. That is so annoying.

After a ten minute walk warm up I trotted him up and down the driveway a few times (bareback).  He is definitely getting some more even rhythm in the trot, but sometimes it's super bouncy.  :)  My dad said he has a great trot.  I'll have to get a video so I can see it.  Then we walked around some more and I let him eat some hay by the scary truck (he's still acting weird about the one that my husband was using the air impact on a while back).  He stood perfectly still while my husband drove the truck and sixteen foot trailer within two or three feet of Chrome so I was proud of that.  And my wagon was in the way so I leaned down and grabbed the handle and pulled it toward Chrome out of the way.  Chrome did awesome.  I bumped his leg with the wagon so he turned away from it, but he wasn't scared, he was just yielding to it.  Well that's about it.  I've had a loooong day of hard work and I'm ready for sleep!  Night guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)