Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chrome Unedited Training Video - Fun!

We had a short training session on the twenty sixth, but Chrome was being a bit of a butt so we ended just playing around on the pedestal.

Today however went fantastic! And I got it all on video! We had so much fun playing Chase the Tiger, messing around with the beginnings of the Spanish Walk and working on our shoulder yields. Check it out (completely unedited).



For those of you who can't watch videos, or if you just want to know more about what's happening in the video, read on. :) I started out playing Chase the Tiger because we haven't messed with it outside of the round pen and it's been a while. It's fun to play the game to help me relax and not worry so much about being perfect (yep I'm a perfectionist sigh).

We had fun and he looks so gorgeous when he's trying to kill the "Tiger". The video is well worth watching if you can just to watch him prance around. I'll try to get snapshots off of it later and post them tomorrow for everyone who can't watch.

While playing Chase the Tiger I started swinging the Tiger left and right in front of Chrome and he was striking at it with alternating front hooves. It actually looked a little like a Spanish Walk (well the beginnings of one). The only problem is he's stomping pretty hard so I don't really want to teach the real Spanish Walk using this method, but it's fun to mess around with. I'm excited to try it out someday.

After he got tired of the game I worked on shoulder yields. He did a perfect three step yield moving left which is the direction he learned first. He doesn't know how to twist on his rear legs without stepping forward and I'm worried about him putting too much torque on his young joints so I probably won't do more than three steps for now.

On his new side he's consistently getting one step and I'm now only using the shoulder cue. I do still have to hold my left hand up by his neck to keep him from turning his head to me, but I'm not touching him with it. I got two steps once, but it wasn't very good. We'll keep working on it.

Funny that my original intention for the session was to work on whoa . . . hehe. I want him to have a really solid whoa and right now it's about 50% so I'm going to focus on that tomorrow, but I'll have him on a halter and lead. He needs the support right now. Once he's listening to the voice cue I'll work on it again at liberty (just not in the same session as Tiger because he gets too excited lol).

Well, that's all for now. I was just super excited and had to share.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time. So important to make it fun for both equine and human, and building that bond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posted some Pics from a Halter class last year on my blog. I am not a very sensitive person so feel free to rip Pip apart. Thanks for the free education. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun! Here is some more fun if you want it??
    http://on-target-training.com/freetraining/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be right over Emme.

    Janine, thanks for the website. I've seen some of Shawna's videos on Youtube, but I've never seen the website. I might have to sign up for the free videos. I like how she has it laid out in order. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a hilarious and a good way to build up Chrome's confidence around little things that move around his legs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrome is just too darn cute. That little stomping he was doing was adorable. He looks like he's getting more gray coming it. Is it just the lighting maybe? He looks so pretty, his mane is really coming in too. What a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful when you have a good training session, isn't it? Sometimes everything is just coming together and you can really feel the connection.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)