Saturday, April 16, 2011

Chrome Update

Due to the wind damage I've blocked off the front pasture so Chrome and Zep can't get to the barn or feed shed. There is just too much chance they could hurt themselves. The insurance adjuster still hasn't been out and probably won't be until Monday so we can't clean anything up. That means I've been going out to the lease land and feeding them out of buckets.

Chrome's puncture wound has finally scabbed over and is no longer draining. He finished his third week of antibiotics yesterday. I don't think I'm going to get any more unless it starts to look bad. Here is a close up of the scab.

It's right where the bone on the inside of the hock is, so I still can't feel the bone. It is still a little bigger than the other hock, but only in the tiny area where the wound is. The hock isn't swollen. It still feels warm directly around the scab. Here are some shots of his legs. I don't know if you can see the difference between the two hocks in pictures, but it's worth a try.

He stands so cow hocked so I have to show it in two pictures. The above picture shows the right hind hock from directly in front. It also shows the location of the wound on the left hind.

This shows the injured hock from directly in front. It's closer and the angle is different so it's hard to tell. Can you see how it still looks puffy directly around the wound? You can click to enlarge the pictures. So do you think it's healing up okay and I should leave it alone? Should I keep him on antibiotics?

Getting a drink after his supper.

Looking cute!

Threatening to kick my husband's cane lol! He sure can flex when he wants to. :)

I love my colt.

Oh and he's gaining himself a fan club among my friends hehe. I'm finally getting in touch with some horse people in my area and they all love him. :) One of my new friends was over the other day and she was playing peek a boo with him behind a tree. At first he was confused, but he quickly realized she was going from one side to the other of the tree and he would meet her. It was adorable! I would post pictures, but I don't have permission to post pictures of my friend. Well, night guys!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear his hock wound is improving. It sure did take a long time. He is looking great. I love his tail.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)