Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hobby Horse Blog Hop #8

Here are the rules: Answer one or all of the prompts. Link back to Living a Dream's post. Visit other blogs. And don't forget to ask a question of everyone else!



1. Describe how a horse you have known is sometimes a 'cheeky monkey'. What does he/she do that is a bit naughty? Chrome's "naughty" (in quotes because it doesn't bother me so it's not really wrong lol) is getting into everything! His favorite thing is after he finishes eating and I'm closing his pen he walked over to the post where I put the feed scoops and knocks them off. If they land outside of the pasture he wanders off, but if they land inside he tried to break them with his teeth lol. He also like to grab his feed bucket (one of those big tubs that have rope handles) and swing it around or sit it on top of a nearby tire (I was using it to keep him from moving his bucket around, but it got moved and now he plays with his bucket again). He also likes to steal things (like if you stick something in your back pocket or you sit something down and turn your back) and play with them. I don't really consider it naughty though because it makes me laugh and is totally harmless. :)

2. What is your favorite thing about spring? (Hmmm... I'm thinking there won't be too many people who say 'shedding horses'!) Sunshine!!!!! I thrive on sunshine (probably due to a vitamin d deficiency) and my mood is directly affected by it. So my favorite thing about spring is the return of sunshine. I miss it during the winter lol.

3. What care do you provide for feet? Horse or human! Do you have a special product that you have discovered and just can't do without? Mine get bare minimum attention. I keep them clean, warm and the nails trimmed (and painted if I'm wearing open toe shoes/sandals/flip flops). My horses' hooves I obsess over. I've been doing a bit of trimming between farrier visits. I think the only "special" product I use is regular salt. I mix salt with water in a spray bottle and spray it on the bottoms of their hooves. It kills thrush. It doesn't always work on bad cases (it might if it was applied often enough and the hooves were kept dry), but it's awesome for minor cases and maintenance.

Now my question . . .

What is your ideal type of horse fencing (wood, vinyl, wire, electric, etc.) and why?

3 comments:

  1. I was laughing at Chrome's naughtiness. He sounds just like Pippin!
    I used to have trouble with SADD when I lived elsewhere. I do think sunshine is really important for my well-being.
    Interesting about the saltwater. It makes sense. I used some sort of copper product but I detest the odor of it.

    Hmmm.... great question because none are ideal! I like the look of wood - a nice heavy 4-rail fence. But, I've seen horses really get hurt in pastures with wood fence. Last year my friend put up a great fence using 8" diameter wood posts and 1/4" wire that is strung through insulated holes in the posts. She has 5 strands of wire.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing at Chrome's naughtiness. He sounds just like Pippin!
    I used to have trouble with SADD when I lived elsewhere. I do think sunshine is really important for my well-being.
    Interesting about the saltwater. It makes sense. I used some sort of copper product but I detest the odor of it.

    Hmmm.... great question because none are ideal! I like the look of wood - a nice heavy 4-rail fence. But, I've seen horses really get hurt in pastures with wood fence. Last year my friend put up a great fence using 8" diameter wood posts and 1/4" wire that is strung through insulated holes in the posts. She has 5 strands of wire.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ideal horse fencing would probably be a combination of things. To me, keeping things (and people) out is almost more important than keeping horses in (mine don't really test fences), so a mesh of some sort. Like this (http://www.louispage.com/fences/horse-cattle-livestock) diamond mesh fencing. It's made so that a horse can't put it's hoof through, but nothing can get in either. I've heard it's really good, but never tried it due to expense. I love the look of a white vinyl board fence, but it would have to have the mesh on the inside to keep critters out. And then electric along the top to keep the horses from leaning against it (or chewing if wood were used). To me the most important part is keeping people out though so I'd want some sort of tall, thorny bush/hedge along the outside (which would make the pretty white board fence irrelevant so might as well just use the mesh). So yeah, I guess it's kind of hard to choose an ideal fencing. I've come up with some very imaginative ideas for keeping people and animals out though lol.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)