Saturday, June 14, 2014

Too lazy to tack up... bareback and bridleless riding... on Chrome!! (Ride 56)

 He is so cute!!!

Okay, I wasn't actually too lazy to tack up, but I did ride him bareback and bridleless!  :D  I was actually being too lazy to ride so I took the dog out to play in the pasture and was taking pictures.  Then my batteries died so my hubby and I started walking back to the house.  On a whim I asked him to give me a leg up, then I rode Chrome all the way to the front of the pasture with no tack.  He did great.  I was super excited and knew you guys would be pissed without photographic evidence, so I went inside to get new batteries (and my helmet!!).


I used the bridle to make him walk away from my hubby so he could get pictures, then I slipped it off and threw it aside.  My awesome hubby caught this picture above of me tossing the bridle!!  So cool!

 Then we walked to my hubby!  So fun!!

 Look mom no hands!
Wow I'm lopsided...


In the above photo my hubby had just put the bridle back on (I haven't learned to do that from his back yet) but he left Chrome's forelock all messed up so I leaned forward and fixed it hehe.  So vain!


Not the best picture above since my hubby cut Chrome's feet off (he was having problems with the camera being really slow because of the low light) and the ugly barn roof in the background lol.  Chrome looks fantastic though!  So cute!


Funny story with the above picture.  I was watching Jackal and Zep was sneaking up on him and then dove in for an attack.  I yelled at Zep at the same time Zep took off running..... you guessed it!  Chrome took off, but thank goodness only at the trot.  The crazy thing is he tucked his head, carrying it literally like an upper level dressage horse and rounded his back, then started to crowhop, but I said "eh eh eh!" and grabbed his mane (thank goodness his mohawk is long enough to grab something hehe) up near the third vertebrae (I'm tall, his neck is short LOL).  Then he power trotted with his head "on the bit" and his back round!  I've NEVER felt that from him while bareback.  It was so amazing to feel his back lift up like that.  It was BOUNCY!  I held on and we trotted all the way to the gate where he stopped.  I was pretty terrified, but after the fact all I could do was laugh and I was so excited about feeling him move like a trained dressage horse.  It was like a sneak peak of what he will be able to do someday!  Unfortunately hubby was busy saving the dog's life from the evil donkey so none of it was recorded... sigh!  Jackal is fine.  He knows that when I yell Zep's name that he's being ambushed so he took off running when he heard me and escaped unharmed.


I rode him around for a few minutes (total ride was only fifteen minutes) with the sidepull so he didn't think taking off with me and threatening to crow hop would get him out of work.  I didn't scold him when it happened other than the verbal "eh eh eh" because he was using his body correctly so how could I get mad??  Then we kicked back and had some fun goofing off.


The flies and gnats were driving Chrome mad so he didn't have his ears up in many pictures.  In the above picture I'm pushing his ears forward hehe.

 Kisses!!

I was standing on his feed bucket in the kiss photo so that's why I look so much taller than him hehe.

 Super sexy!

Super itchy!

One last thing, I got a video of him smiling for you since it's been a while hehe.


Isn't he adorable??

6 comments:

  1. He is absolutely adorable!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. He got some great shots. The one of you throwing the bridle could be an advertisement for a natural horsemanship trainer or bridless clinic.

    I do have to say that I feel nervous for you in all the pictures. I imagine one of Bombay's teleports sideways that happen with no warning, and I worry that it would be hard to hang on. But Chrome isn't Bombay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! Tackless is my favorite - so fun! And the throwing the bridle shot is so, so cool! Looks like an advertisement. Kick the bit! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I love that picture too. I had no idea my hubby was taking it. He did well.

    Nuzmuz it is risky doing what I did but Chrome is definitely not as spooky as Bombay. I don't think he had ever teleported sideways like Bombay and Faran did, thank goodness. Chrome had that spook in place that everybody loves. That's also why when the donkey got all stirred up I put the bridle back on because I could feel how excited Chrome was getting. I forgot to mention in the post that after our fifteen minute ride I turned him loose in the round pen for some liberty shots that I will share later. I didn't work him long because he was getting sweaty but as soon as I turned him loose and started walking back to the house he took off bucking and playing with the donkey hehe. I'm glad he has learned some self restraint as he's gotten older. Hopefully one day he will learn that crowhopping is best done without me on his back lol!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)