Friday, February 8, 2013

Paddock Paradise

So how many of you have ever heard of paddock paradise??  Check out this website for more details http://paddockparadise.com/  I've been wanting to try it, but I didn't own the lease land so I couldn't.  Now that I have my own place I can do whatever I want.  The pasture is only 5.2 acres so I think it would increase the productivity of the land to set something up.  Here is a screenshot from Google Maps that shows my property.


The red line on the outside is the perimeter of the pasture (the yard is to the right and is another almost five acres, we have ten total).  The perimeter fence is hog wire/field fencing with a strand of electric tape along the top.  The blue will be interior fences made of portable electric tape.  The green lines are gates.  The part where the barn is (and where the new horse barn will be) is the dry lot.  They will stay there when it's too muddy to be out on the track.  The track is set up with wide corners where we will put hay, mineral/salt blocks, places to roll, toys, etc.  I haven't decided if I will fence off the pine trees or not.  The track is set up so they have to go to the end to get a drink and all the way back to the beginning for food.  It encourages movement which is so good for them.  We can cut hay on the open part where there aren't a lot of trees (and they can be let on there to graze or play).  I'm not sure what size the arena will be, but the fenced off part to the left of it is mostly trees so it will be for riding on or whatever.

So what do you think?  Have any of your tried a paddock paradise system?  Or know someone who does?  Any suggestions for making this one better?  I haven't started on it so it's simple to make changes lol.  Sorry if it doesn't make any sense.  If you have questions or I didn't explain something well enough, just let me know.  I have to run now.  Later!

8 comments:

  1. I don't have a clue, but it sounds like you are having fun making plans.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. thought of you earlier. Saw the people from down the street out walking their baby draft horse. Just strolling down the road with the baby. Reminded me of when Chrome was younger.

    Kisses,
    Dexter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Jaime Jackson has been advocating this for years. I believe Rockley Farm has a similar set-up, with tracks made of pea gravel to improve hoof health; I would check out their blog to see how they do theirs. Super fun that you get to plan & lay out everything exactly how you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paddock paradise is a really interesting concept! Are you going to change up the footing on the track? I don't have one, but I have read about it, so I am excited for you and excited to see how you plan on doing it! They had a Facebook Group if you want to ask the people that already have one any questions. I can't seem to find it now, but worth the try to look. Best of luck creating this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I am so excited for you. It seems like things are going great and you are going to have so much fun setting up your new facilities. When considering arena size my only suggestion is to make sure that at it's smallest, it is large enough to set up a full size dressage arena. I'm not sure what you plan on doing with your training of chrome, but in general a dressage arena will give you a good amount of flexibility. If you plan on doing a lot of jumping in the future, I'd make it as long as a dressage arena, but a little wider to make setting up courses a bit easier. Have fun!

    -DS
    Adventures In Colt Starting

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your paddack paradise. I have never heard of this concept. It is really interesting and maked total sense. IF I had my own place I would be all over this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like fun! I know of this and like it, but I board. I think you guys will love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really exciting all your news. I haven't been on my horse blog for a while... busy with family. BUT this is very exciting and will check back soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)