Saturday, April 3, 2010

Donkey Day - 4-3-2010

I've been so busy with the dogs, goats and chickens that I've sort of been ignoring the equine members of the family. :( Sometimes I wonder if I have myself stretched too thin. It'll be okay though.

I've been doing some research on using clicker training to make contact with wild and wary horses (or donkeys) and I think I'm going to start working with Zeppelin and the clicker. I'm worried about messing up Chrome's training though because he's so new to the clicker and I'd be using it in his hearing. I might have to use a whistle or tongue click. I'll think on it.

I don't know when I'll start working on this. I think the reason I've procrastinated for so long is because I'm trying to do too much. Think about it. I have Storm, Jackal, Chrome, Aslan and now Zeppelin that I want to clicker train! Yikes. There are only so many hours in a day. I do think this is necessary though because Zep has gotten a lot more comfortable around us but he still refuses to be touched and I really need to work on his feet. Now that the ground is drying out they're starting to crack. Wish me luck!!

4 comments:

  1. I think Karen Pryor makes a clicker which does different sounds, for multiple animal households. :)

    I know exactly what you mean about being stretched thin as I also have a lot of animals, and all clicker trained animals are desperate to train, so it can be mentally tiring at times. I've had to have a break recently just to recharge my batteries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for your. I have not done anything with the dogs in a long time. Now I have the horses on a schedule so I do two a day, but I want to get the donkeys in there, that would be three a day, plus work, taking care of the house and my mother, cleaning up outside. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always have to go into separate areas when momma uses the clicker because it is confusing for whoever is not being trained. But I bet Zep will like it.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom is trying to train us three corgi pups now, too, and has to separate us when we are working or it doesn't work very well cause everyone wants in on the treats! The CC Pups

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)