Friday, April 30, 2010

Monthly Goals 4-30-2010

My 2010 goals for Chrome are:

1. Use clicker training to desensitize Chrome to as much as possible.
2. Go for more walks on the roads. Use clicker training to make it a positive experience.
3. Teach Chrome some tricks specifically smile.
4. Write in Chrome’s blog more often.
5. Work on hauling to new places.


My break down of those goals for April were:

1. I want to keep using targeting to make sure he knows for absolute sure what the clicker means before we move on.
2. I would like to take Chrome for more walks just because I enjoy it so much, but I’m not going to put any pressure on us. If I feel he’s ready or has excess energy to burn I’ll take him for a short walk.
3. I want to keep working on targeting. I would like to get him to follow it around consistently and just make sure he knows that the click marks the correct behavior.
4. Keep up the good work!!
5. I think Chrome is almost ready to start working with the trailer. I want to use clicker to make it positive again. I don’t know if I want to teach him to follow the target on or if I want to shape him loading on his own. Not sure where he is mentally for that. Unfortunately right now the horse trailer is housing a few roosters that can’t be out with the flock. One of them is sold, but the others we don’t know about yet. If I manage to vacate the current occupants I might work on something with him.


My progress is:

1. Chrome definitely knows what the clicker is now!! We've made far more progress than I expected this month. He is so smart!!
2. I walked him a couple of times but I've spent so much time grooming him, playing with him, training him, cleaning the paddock, etc that I don't think he missed them.
3. Wow we've worked on targeting, grownups are talking, sticking with me, backing, kisses, etc. He's done great!
4. I did decent with writing. I've been keeping track of all of his clicker, so that's good.
5. Have not worked with the trailer yet, but the feathered occupants have finally been moved so it won't be long. :)


My new goals for May are:

1. I want to keep working on what we've been working on and practice gaining stimulus control. I need to add vocal cues as well. I am also dying to give him his first bath!
2. I'm going to continue taking him on sporadic walks so he doesn't forget how to behave while out walking. Depending on how he progresses I might use the clicker on a walk.
3. As for tricks I really want to teach him to give kisses.
4. I need to keep writing, but I also want to get more consistent with Donkey Day.
5. I haven't decided yet if I want to work on this in May. I did forget to mention that during one of our clicker sessions I had him following the target through tight places that he normally just goes around. I'm just going to wait and see what happens here. I really need to because I would like to haul him to the stable where I used to work to show him off to all of my friends.

1 comment:

  1. You've made such great progress. Can't wait to see what he thinks about having a bath. Usually when I do it Star goes and rolls in the dust straight after!! :D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)