Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Nothing

I didn't do anything with Chrome today. I was just entirely too busy getting everything ready for the bad weather coming tomorrow. I have been reading my Pavlich book though and I'm going to use her ideas for teaching Chrome to stand for the farrier. He wasn't a psycho, but he wasn't as well behaved (or patient) as he could have been. I really like the way she teaches them so I think that's what I'm going to work on next along with what he already knows and I'm also going to add in the forequarter yields. I want to see how far I can get with his hooves before the next trim and see what she says when he does so much better. :) You guys will have to keep me motivated.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have that book, but I spent some time working with Cole on his feet. I feel I may have to put front shoes on his feet next summer. Our trails are hard and gravelly.

    Anyway, the farrier told me I needed to be able to hold his feet for 5 minutes. I haven't timed how long I have been holding them, but he basically doesn't care how long I hold them up as long as I periodically click him. (I don't put his foot down while I treat him.) I also stretch his legs out, and hold his leg between my knees. I only click when he is relaxed.

    His last trim, he was wonderful, and I didn't click him once. My farrier was very pleased with the improvement.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)