Monday, January 18, 2010

Led Zeppelin

Introducing Led Zeppelin, a two year old standard donkey. He will now be Chrome's companion since Galaxy's been rehomed. Zeppelin actually belongs to my dad but he's letting us keep him for as long as we need him. We rescued Zeppelin shortly before I got Chrome. He'd hardly ever been handled at his previous home and he'd never been hauled in a trailer before, except for when we brought him home, so we were expecting a fight. Dad locked him in the barn and we backed the trailer up to the door. Then we stood back to let him explore the trailer on his own.

Sniffing the trailer and testing out the ramp.

And then he just walked right on!

We were amazed and so proud of him.

After the hour drive home he calmly let us put a rope on him and lower the ramp on the trailer. In this picture he saw Chrome for the first time. We had a flood light out so we could see what we were doing, but most of these pictures were taken in the almost complete dark.

Chrome sees Zeppelin for the first time. It's almost like he's thinking, "What IS that thing Mom?!"

We coaxed Zeppelin off the trailer with some grain and then around to his pen.

Chrome watched, curious.

He kept giving me these looks like he wasn't too sure what was happening.

Zeppelin now in his neighboring pen. We'll put them together eventually.

Meeting for the first time.

Chrome was so happy to have a friend again. He was upset after Gal left.

"Who, or what, are you?"

"Mom. Are you sure this is a horse?"

Chrome watched jealously as Zeppelin ate his supper.

Saying hi again.

I think Zeppelin is going to be really good for Chrome. He's so laid back and, true to donkeys, he thinks about everything before he reacts. He also doesn't put up with Chrome's nipping, so maybe he can help me break the habit. I don't think Zeppelin will let Chrome push him around like Gal had started letting him get away with. I think we separated them just in time. Hormones were starting to get out of control on both of their parts. Zeppelin has settled in wonderfully. I'll update again as soon as possible. Keep an eye out over the next couple of days for pictures of Chrome from a few days ago playing with yet another toy. :)

4 comments:

  1. hi pale
    we are El'bow and Hauwii
    we found your bloggy on Mango's blog. :D

    we never seen a donkey so dark :)

    kissslobbers
    El'bow & Hauwii

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic that Zepplin loaded himself, what a cool dude ;) Nice to see them making friends through the fence. I used to look after two donkeys for someone and Star always seemed to enjoy their company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you will be great pals.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how cute!! Love them donkeys! I have two myself :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)