Okay, I have decided that I need to break down this year's goals into monthly goals. Working in tiny steps encourages success. I feel like if I don't do this I'll just procrastinate and say, "Oh, I have all year!"
So here were my goals for Chrome for the year.
1. Use clicker training to desensitize Chrome to as much as possible.
2. Go for more walks on the roads, using clicker training to make it a positive experience.
3. Teach Chrome some tricks specifically smile.
4. Write in Chrome's blog more often.
5. Practice hauling to different locations.
And the break down of these goals for January . . .
1. Introduce Chrome to the clicker and practice targeting to build a solid foundation.
2. Start walking around the property daily for exercise, but wait on doing anymore road walks until we're using the clicker.
3. I know number three is to teach a trick, but since he doesn't even know anything about clicker training I'm making this something else for January. Nip nipping in the bud before it becomes a biting problem!! This is an important one for young colts and he's definitely starting to get mouthy.
4. I've been doing better about blogging, so for January just keep writing.
5. Wait on this one until we have more practice in clicker training. I want to have the tools to reward him for loading by himself.
Since the month is already almost half over I don't realistically expect to complete all of these, but it's my goal to do them anyway. If I have to carry some over into February that's okay too. Stay tuned tomorrow for some big news. :)