My 2010 goals for Chrome are:
1. Use clicker training to desensitize Chrome to as much as possible.
2. Go for more walks on the roads. Use clicker training to make it a positive experience.
3. Teach Chrome some tricks specifically smile.
4. Write in Chrome’s blog more often.
5. Work on hauling to new places.
My break down of those goals for February were:
1. I want to continue to work on targeting this month.
2. I'm going to keep walking him as much as I possibly can to continue to expose him to new things. When he knows the clicker better I'll incorporate it into our walks. Right now if he makes scary eyes at something I just keep going. He doesn't shy or side step, so I don't think it'll hurt anything. I would eventually like to use clicker to encourage him to explore things that scare him. That will be a ways off though.
3. For now I'm going to stick with targeting.
4. Keep on blogging. :)
5. Still not ready to work on hauling yet. The ground is too soft to move the trailer and he's not familiar enough on clicker yet to do anything. I think I'll wait for warmer weather to start hauling.
My progress is:
1. With the OCD scare I didn't do any training. I have been spending a LOT of time with him though and I think that's helping to improve our relationship even more. He doesn't mind me being all over him petting him, hugging him, leaning across his back (no weight), pulling his tail, playing with his ears, etc. We've even made a new game where I pull on his lips to make them pop. He loves it!
2. I haven't been walking him because of the OCD scare but I'm not putting him up at night anymore and he's with Zeppelin now, so they can play anytime they want. I think he's self regulating his exercise much better now. I've fixed the fence to where he can be out, but people can't reach him through the fence so that takes away a lot of the worry. I'm also going to plant a prickly pear cactus barrier along the entire perimeter of my property to keep the obnoxious teenagers off my property.
3. I still can't find a treat he likes besides sugar! I may try using his feed again since he's better at taking treats, but I'm having to be so careful with his diet right now. He ate several carrots yesterday, but he spits them out and plays with them too much. If anyone has any suggestions on getting the turd to eat and enjoy carrots or apples I'd love to hear them. Also if anyone has any advice (or links to past posts) about 'charging the clicker' with horses I'd love to know that as well. I don't think he understands the click yet. When I find a treat I'll start working on this. I can't keep feeding him the sugar.
4. I've been doing better at posting. I need to edit the hundreds of pictures I still have and get them posted.
5. Still waiting on this.
My new goals for March are:
1. I need to find a treat that he enjoys that is also healthy. I don't like feeding him the sugar for clicker training.
2. Since I haven't felt any heat in his joints in a while I may start walking him again. He's getting more exercise now that Zeppelin is in the same paddock, but I still want him to get out and see the world. I may just need to wait until he's a year old and then start again when there won't be such a risk to his joints. All of our roads are asphalt. 8o
3. Can't teach tricks until he will eat treats.
4. Keep on blogging. :)
5. Still not ready to work on hauling yet.